11 days ago

In my living room.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Show us the rest of the room.

Seems to me any floor lamp should be placed behind a lounge chair for reading.

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

Need to see rest of the room. It is possible that you don't need anything there.

Do you have enough seating in here? Any particular activity you want to have happen in this room that you don't have a designated area for yet? Does it get enough daylight for plants?

• Magen Reader
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you for your feedback so far!

• arcy_gw
    11 days ago

I guess that's why people do built ins? What's to the right of the TV? What sort of light comes in from that widow? I would most likely fill the area with plants if I didn't need it for book shelves.

• Magen Reader
    Original Author
    11 days ago

This is looking into the living room from the kitchen.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    11 days ago

It looks like a very nice, adequately sized space, but you need more lighting. Can you post a pic of the floor plan with measurements? I’m sure some pros here can help with furniture placement.

• Rina
    11 days ago

A fairly large piece of pictorial art, ie not a mirror or window frame shape, but an actual painting, between the TV and the corner would bring character and personality into the room. Try a size deeper than the TV, not quite as wide, for balance.

Would mock it up but my sortware is squiff. Sorry.

It looks as though the curtains are skimpy. Can you add another panel to bring the edge right to the finial?

• auntthelma
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Two changes. Put more substantial drapes on the door/window wall. Extent the curtain rod so that the drapes cover most of the wall, as though the wall were all window.

Then, a more substantial TV anchor. Either a built in or purchaced long cabinet or credenza. At least twice the width of the TV so that the wall is better defined.

Add a sculpture on the credenza between the TV and drapes.

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    10 days ago

You might try a large plant and then some artwork on either side of the TV console.

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

Scandinavian Delight · More Info

• Cara Fidler
    10 days ago

I like what you did there. I suggest a chaise lounge with a floor lamp behind it and a small table beside it.

• drdeb1234
    10 days ago

If you do put a chair or another piece of furniture there, choose something other than brown. Currently all the furniture is heavy and dark, and I think that really needs to be balanced out.

Also, consider decor items that are unique and personal, rather than Big Box mass produced stuff.

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

I'd take the chair and ottoman and put it in that corner facing the center of the room and have it be a reading area. However, I can imagine it being prime real estate for tv watching.

• tracefloyd
    10 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Here is a render of the suggestion ^^ to extend the curtain and rod. Raise the rod and open the curtain to the right. No decor in the corner or over the door. Green curtain is just for illustration.

• Magen Reader
    Original Author
    9 days ago

So there wouldn’t be anything in the corner?

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    9 days ago

Agree with taking the drapes all the way to the corner. The lights in the corner seem so odd to me - you need light but not in the corner (where there’s no need for a light since no one is sitting there) and certainly not next to the tv (where it could create a glare/interfere with tv viewing).

If it were my corner, I would place a tall houseplant there, one that doesn’t need much light. (And not a fake plant either.)

• Magen Reader
    Original Author
    9 days ago

My children play in that corner and I would prefer it not to be so dark.

• PRO
    Fabienne Smiths
    9 days ago

I'd make it a reading nook. Although it doesn't look empty to me as it is.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    9 days ago

Ah! Your children use that corner for play? That’s information we need.

So obviously you don’t want to fill it with an adult chair + table + lamp, nor a large houseplant either. Hmmmm .... thinking on it with this new information at hand. Maybe some type of child-size furniture or bookcase to store toys or books? A swag light hanging down? A few pot lights added here and there across the whole room?

• Jennz9b
    9 days ago

You need more lighting. add 2 lamps to your side tables by the sofa and get at least two floor lamps. (do not get the torchiere kind that points light up at the ceiling.) i would also consider painting the room a bright white color. the walls contribute to the darkness.